Volunteering and donations
We encourage our staff to play an active role in the communities they work in, for instance by supporting participation in local volunteering activities.
We also invest in good causes that are aligned with our own culture and values and help children and students maximise their talents. Each year the Group allocates a global budget to match staff donations to international charities for specific causes. In the past years we have collected and donated funds for the fight against Ebola, the appeal for Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines, the tsunami in Japan, the Sichuan earthquake in China or for research on neuroendocrine tumours.
We make donations to various local charities such as the Alzheimer’s Society and Brainwave initiative in the UK or the ‘fit-4-future’ initiative in Switzerland, which supports health and sports activities for children.
Examples of our local community affairs and charity engagement
- In the UK, we promote tax efficient payroll giving to staff through a Give as You Earn scheme. In addition we organise a series of volunteer days each year, where teams of volunteers would refurbish school gardens, encourage children to get involved in sports and transform the gardens of housing projects. And since 2008, GAM has hosted an annual Macmillan coffee morning, raising over £20,000 to date.
- In Dublin, each year we organise a ‘charity week’ where staff hold a raffle to raise money and there’s a ‘casual dress week’ where money is donated each day.
- In New York, since 2008 our employees have been participating in HELP USA's annual toy drive. HELP USA is a national not for profit organisation with a mission to empower the homeless and others in need to become and remain self-reliant. GAM New York also participates in Operation Backpack. This is an annual drive to provide children with brand new backpacks, filled with classroom supplies, for the first day of the new school year. The Operation Backpack team aims to ensure no child living in a New York City shelter will be left out when the new term begins in September.
- In Hong Kong staff participates annually in ‘The Dress Special Day’ organised by The Community Chest as well as in the 'Dress Pink Day' organised by the Hong Kong Cancer Fund.
- In Switzerland our employees participate in two annual charity runs. Participants ‘earn’ money for each lap they run which is then donated to various charities.
Supporting the arts
We support The Great Art Quest, a UK-wide project designed to introduce primary school children to art and to their local art galleries, often for the first time in their education.
The Great Art Quest is a partnership with the Prince’s Foundation for Children & the Arts, one of the Prince of Wales’ charities. The Foundation is an educational charity that believes children’s lives should be enriched through access to the arts. World-renowned artists including Quentin Blake, Anthony Gormley and Gavin Turk have given their support to The Great Art Quest.
In addition we are active supporters in following institutions:
- Royal Academy of Arts: We are a corporate member of the Royal Academy of Arts and also sponsor the Royal Academy Schools, which is an independent institution that offers the only three-year, full-time postgraduate course in fine art in the UK.
- Tate Britain: We are a corporate supporter of Tate Britain on Millbank & Tate Modern. Tate holds the national collection of British art from 1500 to the present day as well as international modern and contemporary art.