Volunteering and donations
We encourage our staff to play an active role in the communities they work in, for instance by supporting participation in local volunteering activities.
We also invest in good causes that are aligned with our own culture and values and those that help children and students maximise their talents. Each year the Group allocates a global budget to match staff donations to international charities for specific causes. In the past years we have collected and donated funds for the fight against Ebola, the appeal for Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines, the tsunami in Japan, the Sichuan earthquake in China and for research on neuroendocrine tumours.
We make donations to various local charities such as the Alzheimer’s Society and Brainwave initiative in the UK and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies in different locations.
Examples of our local community affairs and charity engagement:
- In the UK, we promote tax-efficient payroll donating to staff through a Give as You Earn scheme. In addition we organise a series of volunteer days each year, where teams of volunteers engage in activities such as refurbishing school gardens, encouraging children to get involved in sports and transforming the gardens of housing projects. And since 2008, GAM has hosted an annual Macmillan coffee morning, raising almost £30,000 to date.
- In Dublin, an annual awareness week is organised to raise money for a charity nominated by employees. In 2016, Dublin employees nominated The Temple Street Foundation which raises funds for the Children's University Hospital. Since 2008, GAM Fund Management and staff have donated over €29,000 to the various charities nominated by staff.
- In New York, since 2008 our employees have been participating in HELP USA's annual toy drive. HELP USA is a national not-for-profit organisation with a mission to empower the homeless and others in need to become and remain self-reliant. GAM New York also participates in Operation Backpack. This is an annual drive to provide children with brand new backpacks, filled with classroom supplies, for the first day of the new school year. The Operation Backpack team aims to ensure no child living in a New York City shelter will be left out when the new term begins in September.
- In Hong Kong staff participate annually in ‘The Dress Special Day’ organised by The Community Chest as well as the 'Dress Pink Day' organised by the Hong Kong Cancer Fund.
- In Switzerland our employees participate in an annual charity run named ‘Run4Kids’. Participants ‘earn’ money for each lap they run which is then donated to various charities.
Supporting the arts
We support The Great Art Quest, a UK-wide project designed to introduce primary school children to art and to their local art galleries, often for the first time in their education.
The Great Art Quest is a partnership with the Prince’s Foundation for Children & the Arts, one of the Prince of Wales’ charities. The Foundation is an educational charity that believes children’s lives should be enriched through access to the arts. World-renowned artists including Quentin Blake, Anthony Gormley and Gavin Turk have given their support to The Great Art Quest.
We are a corporate member of the Royal Academy of Arts and also sponsor the Royal Academy Schools, which is an independent institution that offers the only three-year, full-time postgraduate course in fine art in the UK.