Thursday, September 29, 2011
GAM launches GAM Star Emerging Asia Equity
- GAM Star Emerging Asia Equity aims to access the untapped potential of ASEAN markets such as Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.
- The fund invests in a diversified portfolio of ASEAN-based companies and aims to outperform the MSCI AC South East Asia index over the long term.
Much attention has been paid to China’s dominant growth story, with neighbouring ASEAN markets often being overlooked. Investment manager GAM has launched the GAM Star Emerging Asia Equity fund to tap these markets that provide affordable opportunities for growth.
The fund, managed by Michael Lai, Investment Director with Camille Vergara, Investment Manager, invests in quoted securities in ASEAN markets, primarily Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand, with opportunistic allocations to companies in other ASEAN markets, as well as other emerging Asian countries outside China where compelling risk-adjusted returns are identified. The fund seeks to outperform the MSCI AC South East Asia index over the long-term and is authorised for sale in Austria, Finland, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Macau, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.
The investment approach of the team considers global perspectives but is predominately driven by regional themes and rigorous bottom up company analysis. This results in a high conviction portfolio of 35-45 stocks focused on mid-cap, under researched, overlooked and mispriced companies.
Why GAM Star Emerging Asia Equity?
- The ASEAN region is the new powerhouse for Asia
- Volatile ASEAN equity markets offer opportunities for skilled stock pickers
- Relatively cheap markets provide opportunities to capture growth at a reasonable price
- A Hong Kong-based investment team with tools, experience and knowledge to harness the untapped potential of ASEAN markets